Saturday, December 20, 2008

BINGO!

One of the last places a pregnant woman feels comfortable is a bar. I have to imagine that even those who allow themselves to drink wouldn't want to do it in a bar. People just look at you with that I-sure-hope-someone-from-child-services-sees-this-and-busts-her-right-here look. There is, however, one glorious exception: Sam Bond's Garage. Sam Bond's has a cozy classic cabin feel and attracts the laid back alternative cool cats of Eugene, which suffers from an overabundance of frat-boy meat markets. In short, Sam Bond's is, well, a 'hippie' bar. Full of friendly faces, local beer, organic food and funtastic theme nights. The best nights to visit Sam Bond's are Monday, for free and feisty Bingo Night and Tuesday for the free Bluegrass Jam.
After a seven month hiatus from my favorite local watering hole, I finally managed to stay up past nine o'clock and make it to a Bingo night. It was a couple weeks ago, the day I took my final for nursing school (which I got an A on!!) and the last day of the birthing classes that Greg and I have been taking. Greg and I got there after they had started the first round and were greeted by many familiar faces and not a single sideways glance at the belly. As we sunk down into the split log benches and pulled a pile of pennies toward our bingo cards I noticed that the art on the walls was affirming my appearance in this bar scene.
Local Eugene Artist, Claire Flint's 'Femme Fertile' exhibit was on display. This exhibit features a series of sultry and seductive pregnant nudes, each painting measure about three feet wide by five feet high and added a sexy maternal mood to the atmosphere.
I felt right at home with my glass of water, oversized slice of pizza and big pregnant belly.
Greg and I were further affirmed when Greg won an all-too-appropriate prize in a game of Bingo.  The Bingo prizes at Sam Bond's are legend.  They are inspired by the outdated, often useless trinkets and gadgets that are live on the shelves of the 'miscellaneous' isles in the local Goodwill. From commemorative collector's plates, to hands-free potato peelers, to VHS Richard Simmons workouts, I have to  imagine that the prizes often times end up from whence they came.  This, however, does not diminish the satisfaction of winning said prize.  When Greg walked up on stage to claim his infamous prize he had to play a game of rock-paper-scissors to settle a suspenseful tie-breaker, which thanks to his superior strategy he was able to dominate after another nail-biting tie.  The hosts of Bingo handed Greg his prize: an eighties romance novel entitled (this is the best part) Pregnant by a Millionaire!  Greg whispered to the hosts that his fiancĂ© was pregnant and gestured toward where I was sitting.
I gave the belly a little rub as they announced it to the bar, which responded in resounding applause.  I like to think that this is an omen that Greg is on his way to being a millionaire.
The book now bears a proud spot on our book shelf and perhaps one day it will be passed down....in about another thirty years when the child is old enough!  Until then it will likely collect it's fair share of dust as we will be preoccupied with Dr. Seuss and Beatrix Potter for the next few years.