Sunday, May 24, 2009

Happy Trails

It is no question that parenting requires certain sacrifices.  Priorities have a way of naturally shifting when you become a parent; your identity becomes closely linked with your child and your role as their parent. It's easy to see how you can lose track of who you were before parenthood set in.  Those moments when I don't have to be 'mom' or 'student' Sarah are sometimes disorienting and it's somehow easier to look around and find something to clean than it is for me to put a finger on what I would really like to do... for myself.  
Now I am not discrediting the sacrifices of fatherhood here, but I think I am safe in saying that men have an easier time maintaining their prior priorities than women do... something to do with golf (be it disc or ball) and the inability to lactate.   The one thing that I miss most since having Norah is hiking.  Somewhere in the midst of learning the ins and outs of drugs and diseases, paper writing, changing diapers, and nursing (both meanings apply here) I have had a hard time finding the time... and energy to hit the trails.  
Luckily I am in love with one of the greatest motivators when it comes getting off your arse and going outside.  So this week Greg motivated me to sacrifice a couple of naps to take a good hike with Norah while he schooled his new mountain bike on the local single track trails, just like old times.  It was fun for the whole family.  While Norah may not yet be able to appreciate the beauty of a thundering waterfall, the sound of the river calms her down and peaks her curiosity and the rhythm of walking is something she has always enjoyed.  As for me, it was positively rejuvenating to get out and do something that a Sarah likes to do... for herself!

The Alpine Trail

Trail Bunnies
One of the many forest beauties in bloom.
Magical.
Greg and his baby.
Hard. Core.

The Sahalie and Koosah Falls Loop

Koosah Falls
Have rattle-will hike.
Sahalie Falls
Hands down one of the most beautiful river trails ever!
Even Bishop was nervous crossing this bridge!


2 comments:

julie said...

wow, beautiful! i just can't believe how fast they grow. good for you getting out and remembering to stay in touch with your pre-baby self. i totally hear you that it's not easy when there's always so much to clean! ha ha. norah looks so healthy & happy.

HeatherLiz said...

Sarah, thanks for posting your blog link with the Google Group! Your little girl is just adorable. Those hiking photos inspired me to plan a little out of town trip, too. I think that you are living proof that it is possible to find that mom/student/self life balance with grace! I hope you have a great summer and lots of relaxing time for both Norah and you.